Wednesday, March 4, 2009

March-ing on...

The next few weeks are going to be scarce on the posts because I am trying to write an entire thesis in a month and while I am good under pressure, I think this might be pushing my limits. For now, I will give you three pics from my camera phone with some commentary...


When I was freezing my arse off at the bus stop one morning, this awesome bike commuter passed me. I commend him for his bravery for riding on Savannah Hwy as well as his use of the gutter as a bike lane. And yes, he probably thought I was totally sketchy for taking a picture of him with my phone... sorry dude... I've got blog readers to entertain. This picture also captures a pet peeve of mine- the sidewalks that randomly end and begin, leaving you in people's yards and push you into the road. When I am walking to my bus stop I go from a nice safe sidewalk that ends by dumping me into an intersection with no crosswalk, and once I scramble in front of cars like a sketchball I end up on the other side of the street where there is...oh wait. Nothing. Where the sidewalk should be there is only a little path worn into the weeds that leads to my bus stop (which you can see on the left side of the picture). To further illustrate this, check out the picture below.I mean.... really? Did the developers of this neighborhood/shopping center look and this and think "Ahhh.. our work here is done." This brings a whole new meaning to Shel Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends. I will tell you where it ends Shel... all over Charleston. I just want to take ALL of the planners, developers, and policy makers in Charleston and put them in the shoes of the pedestrians, bus users, and bike riders. This idea was re-inforced when I was talking to a man that is involved in transportation issues and he was stunned to find out that 90 percent of the bus stops are not on the route maps and are marked by only a sign with no bench, shelter, or trash can. It kills me when I am in a car with someone and they complain about bikers in their lane, the bus stopping in front of them, and people running across the road. But, unfortunately, in the road democracy, cars have the majority vote. Luckily, organizations like Architecture for Humanity are helping Charleston address issues like the Crosstown debacle. And to be fair, there are places where planners have gotten it right like on Lockwood (except for the lack of bike lane).
I am able to follow the sidewalk all the way from the 61 bridge onto this fun boardwalk-ish place with a great view of the marina. I can then jump into traffic and head into the city with no problem. So there is hope....there is always hope :-)

1 comment:

Dalen said...

I often find myself wondering about the side walk thing also. I'll have to get you some pictures. At school, they love to put brick paths in places that dont make sense, so people just walk across the grass anyway.

i laugh inside and out when i read your ranting postings.